When Christians Pray For Forgiveness
Matthew 6: 12 & 14-15
- Why Pray for Forgiveness When God says He remembers our sins no more.
Hebrews 8: 12: Judicial Forgiveness.
But then: Hebrews 12: 3-11. The loving discipline of a Father.
Judge vs. Father
Why should we therefore pray for our forgiveness as believers ?
For Fellowship. Joy. Power.. Peace. Forgiveness of sins.
- What does Forgiveness Look Like ?
1) Resisting thoughts of revenge. Romans 12: 19 “ Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the Wrath of God, for it is written, Vengence is Mine, I will repay says the Lord.
2) Not returning evil for evil. I Thess. 5:15 “ See that no one repays another with evil for evil”
3) Wishing offenders the best. Luke 6: 28 “ Bless those who curse you”
4) Grieving at their hardships. Prov. 24: 17 “ Do not rejoice when your enemy falls, and do not let your heart be glad when he stumbles”
5) Pray for their welfare. Matthew 5: 44 “ But I say to you, love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you “
6) Come to their aid in times of distress. Exodus 23: 4 “ If you meet your enemy’s ox or his donkey wandering away, you shall surely return it to him “
7) Pray in love for God’s Discipline / Deliver to Satan for the destruction of the flesh” I Cor. 5: 5
- What forgiveness is not.
1) Forgiveness is not the absence of anger over sin.
2) Forgiveness is not the absence of Serious Consequences for Sin.
Example: King David.
Our sins are forgiven and forgotten in the sense that they no longer bring down the wrath of a judge, but not in the sense that they no longer bring down the painful spanking of a loving Father.
- Praying for our forgiveness as a believer is a wonderful thing. And forgiving others frees us and empowers us like nothing else !